Alumni from the MU College of Engineering have included inventors, innovators, CEOs and politicians, including more than 300 individuals currently serving as president or CEO of a company in industry. These individuals came from an institution that allowed them to participate in ongoing research and develop the presentation and communication skills necessary to become leaders in their fields. Today, MU Engineering continues the goal of Educating Engineering Leaders by offering research opportunities in faculty labs, leadership opportunities in more than 50 College-supported student organizations and collaborative opportunities through the College’s many partnerships on campus and through funding agencies.
The University of Missouri College of Engineering boasts an impressive collection of alumni, including corporate leaders, industrial pioneers and politicians. Some of our notable alumni include:
- Mike Brown: chairman, president and CEO, Euronet Worldwide
- Peggy Cherng, co-founder, Panda Express, No. 12 Forbes 2016 “America’s Richest Self-Made Women”
- Steve Edwards: CEO, Black & Veatch, 2015 Kansas City Business Journal Power 100
- Jim Fitterling: president and COO, Dow Chemical Company
- David Haffner, CEO (retired) and Chairman, Leggett & Platt
- Sen. Martin Heinrich, U.S. Senator (D-N.M.)
- Kelly King: president of mobility and consumer market for south central U.S., AT&T
- Ray Kowalik, CEO, Burns & McDonnell, 2016 Kansas City Business Journal Power 100
- Thompson Lin: founder, chairman and CEO, Applied Optoelectronics, Inc.
- Michael Melton: president and CEO, TME Enterprises
- Jim O’Neill: president of defense space and security development and St. Louis senior executive, The Boeing Co.
- Daniel O’Shaughnessy, mission systems engineer position at Johns Hopkins University’s applied physics lab for the NASA MESSENGER (MErcury Surface, Space ENvironment, GEochemistry, and Ranging) program
- Christine Pierson: managing partner, NexGen Technology Solutions
- Rodger O. Riney, owner, president and CEO, Scottrade Inc., No. 161 Forbes 2016 “America’s Best Mid-Size Employers”
- Bill Turpin: president and CEO, Missouri Innovation Center
- Ron Wood: retired president – power division, Black & Veatch
- And many more…
Awards & Fellowships
Faculty and students from the MU College of Engineering are frequent recipients of awards and other honors during their tenures with the College. MU Engineering faculty earned five fellowships in various professional organizations in 2016 alone. The numerous research and teaching awards our faculty and students receive each year bring prestige, honor and recognition to the research projects and classroom efforts put forth by all involved.
Recent awards and grants our faculty and students received in 2016 include:
- Five Wallace H. Coulter Foundation grants for Biomedical Innovations
- $12 million National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency federal contract
- RJI Tech Showcase Student Competition grand prize (Recordly)
- Two UM System Fast Track Awards
- One National Science Foundation CAREER Award
- Institute of Biological Engineering (IBE) bioethics essays (second, third place; two honorable mentions)
- Seven National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship Program grants
- 2016 William T. Kemper Fellowship for Teaching Excellence
- Two UM System President’s Awards
- 2016 Environmental Protection Agency People, Prosperity and the Planet (P3) grant
- National Institutes of Health Research Project Grant Program award
- National Institutes of Health T-32 Ruth L. Kirschstein Institutional National Research Service Award
- And many more…
Recruit Top Students
The College of Engineering recruits the highest quality graduate and undergraduate students. By recruiting the top undergraduate and graduate students in the state, nation and world, MU Engineering faculty members are able to offer new higher learning and research opportunities that will develop the next generation of engineering leaders. Part of MU Engineering’s dedication to improving the quality and diversity of its students is the commitment to a culture of integrity, accountability, excellence and collaboration.